Edit: Zac Smith, featured in the video below, “stepped into eternity and went home to be with Jesus on Sunday, May 16, 2010”
Recently I was encouraged and deeply moved by this testimony of a young man with cancer. It also reminded me of an old sermon by John Piper. Continue reading below the video for that link.
Vodpod videos no longer available.
A long time ago, before John Piper’s sermons were available on CD or as a free download, I used to buy and listen to his sermons on cassette tape. One that I liked a lot was a message he preached in 1980, his first year as pastor of Bethlehem Baptist Church. It was entitled “Christ and Cancer” and was basically a brief summary of his theology of suffering. The entire sermon consisted of six affirmations based on Romans 8:18-28.
1. All Creation Has Been Subjected to Futility
2. An Age of Deliverance and Redemption Is Coming
3. Christ Purchased, Demonstrated, and Gave a Foretaste of It
4. God Controls All Suffering for the Good of His People
5. We Should Pray for Healing Power and Sustaining Grace
6. We Should Always Trust in the Power and Goodness of God
Each point is developed in a way that is both biblical and pastoral and therefore very helpful. I encourage you to read or listen to it all.
One more thing—if, like Zac in the video, you have a testimony to the greatness of God’s grace in your own experience of sickness or suffering, I want to invite you to share that in the comments below; your story may greatly encourage someone else.